Search This Blog

Sunday 2 November 2014

Work for Eduardo's aquarium - 2. continuing floating part making process


For the first two floating part I made, they float too well that it is hard to pull them off into the water. The idea is that they can float in the middle of the water. So I made two changes in the second version.

Firstly, I used slightly smaller form balls, reducing their buoyancy. Secondly, I will increase the floating parts' weight by making the most inner net into a small pocket that it can hold some weights.


These are the weights, made of porcelain. I chose porcelain is because it won't rust like metal, causing no harm to the ecosystem in the aquarium. Besides, the other part of this work is also made of porcelain,  there will be a echo between the weights and the other work. Furthermore, it is necessary to control the kinds of material used in work. Otherwise, there will be too much information and overwhelming. These weights are not the main roll of the work. This is also why they are in simple shape, and will stay in white without glazing.


These are materials and tools. The nets came from bath ball. The glass beans are for holding the knots. And I introduced some colour threads, in order to hide the edges or highlight them during crocheting.



This are the pockets. After putting into it, the weights will be half-covered and half-seen.
The following pictures are the bigger one. The nets were cut, arrange and reconnected by crocheting.




The follow pictures show the small one.





In the end, the bigger one has four layers while the small one has three. The net of bath ball can perfectly hold its shape underwater.


I know that I could not make them exactly like the first two, but those two root in my mind that I often felt something was wrong during making. After some struggling, the result is fine at this stage.

TBC

No comments:

Post a Comment