Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 November 2014

White Chapel Curator Tour: Magnus af Petersens on Richard Tuttle


I booked the curator tour for Richard Tuttle's exhibition in White Chapel Gallery. I am extremely glad that I did it. I mean, even only from the visual aspect, I feel pleased about looking his work. But with a explain from someone who really know his work, his work become more making-sense. 

Photograph was not allowed in this exhibition, and I can only find limited images online. 

According to the curator, the key words of Richard's work are textile, humble materials, making space but not occupying space.

Lable 13-16, 2004-05
Suite of four etchings with aquatint, spitbite,
sugarlift, softground, and fabric colle

16 x 16 in. / 40.6 x 40.6 cm. each
Edition of 25
Among the four works above, I like the one has black triangular the most. It is a joy to see it in person, since it is hard to see the details in the images, like subtile colour changing, difference between materials.  I think this piece has nice colour scheme, well-arranged
 details, proportionally beautiful.




The three images above are his 'walking on air' series. Tuttle describes his new work as being “in a syncretic tradition, where the equal and opposite can co-exist and the abstract and the real are not in a state of ambiguity.” Walking on Air represents for him an “expression of elation for the potential for a new beginning, the possibility to rebuild and discover a harmony for existing in the world today.”  For me, I love their colour and texture. They look like abstract landscape, in the certain time of the day or seasons. The orange one, for example, it is like a longly mountain standing on a vast everglade. It is a sunset in the autumn that they all appear to be strong orange, and clear blue sky lay behind them.


This work is interesting. The ball was stuck in a metal stick, around 1.2m high. There were four lights in red, blue, yellow, and green, on the celling, occupying 4 corners of a non-existing square above the ball. Then these lights were pointing the ball in different directions that the ball has four colours of shadow in the end.

3rd Rope Piece
It is just a small colour rope, against a pale grey wall, and in the write position, it formed a whole space. Personally I found this is amazing, and I love the colour of the rope.

How it gets around the corner, 1996
As the curator said, for minimalism, what you see is what it is. Richard like the things about reveal and conceal, corners, shadow, and things behind. Just like what happened in this work, the fabrics are cleverly sewed and folded, constructing the space behind. I really wanted to see through them, to be honest. 

Overall, though his work is not the kind that normally I would be interested, with the explanation from the curator, I found these works are interesting. And I really like the colour he used. Perhaps I should go more events like this.  


No comments:

Post a Comment