Search This Blog

Wednesday 26 November 2014

Morley College - Watercolour & Ceramic Course 4


It is delightful to find out that I had some progress in watercolour. I am more confident in using brush and paints, and according to our teacher, I gradually know what I am doing.


Apart from the class once a week, I also did some practice at home.


Here is our teacher showing us how to do a watery effect.






I love the fluffy, soft edges and the clean colour she painted. This is a simple demonstration, but I can feel her control and casualness. There is a huge distance between us, across time. Wish there is one day that I can paint like this. 


Here she showed how to use the colour from one side to give the shape of the other side, like sky and snow mountain.


Here are some colour charts of varied types of watercolour paints.



The following images are other students' work. Most of them are elder people. Even each course lasts for about 6 weeks, they have been here for many years, doing what they like and making friends.

They are not literally skilful, but I found their paintings are inspiring and beautiful. There is a sort of joyfulness and peace inside. I always found that I try to cover all of the paper that there is no breathing space in the end, becoming stiff. Even the way I use my brush is full of stiffness. I wonder why. Even I consciously want to change the way I paint, it seems not really helpful.














Because I keep painting icebergs and snow mountains, our teacher showed me this work. I think it is amazing, especially the way that mountain and grass in the front were painted. The brush stokes are so vivid, and the shape, size and direction of the stokes are just at the place they should be. My practice is far less than enough.

Here are some work I did.

Saunders Waterford 190g, cold pressed (Not)
Our teacher recommended these two paper to me, since I want to achieve the water wash feeling and have the watery edge. I feel more satisfied about the colour in these two work than the work before. Especially, I like the subtle colour in the sky, and the comparison between the strong orange and blue. I also tried to use some casual brush strokes to give some energy to the work. Which worked to some extend, but I think the brush strokes on the back of the mountain in the work below are a bit too strong. However, in a way, these stokes give a sense of how the mountain turn, from one side to another.

Saunders Waterford 300g, hot pressed ( needs to be wetted on both sides, otherwise hard to wash.
For the following two yellow,  I used a sponge to paint them instead of brush. And I deliberately did not put on my glasses, trying to get a overall effect.


I enjoyed using sponge, because there is more playfulness inside. Comparing these two, the one above has better volume, while the one below has better colour. The colour above is too strong.


I painted the one above later than the one below. I was suggested that for the side of the mountain, I can paint across the surface instead of following the line of the mountain,which gives it more volume.




This bowl was the one I made in the first class, now after firing, it looks like this. I quite like this rusty rough surface. People think it gives a feeling of antique.




The following images show our teacher's demonstration of throwing.



push forward and press to push it down. 



push it inwards to pull it up.







Open it.





pull it up and to the centre.


Then pull it up. Keep the inner finger higher than the finger outside. Use fingers push against the clay and form an 'S' on the clay body.

























No comments:

Post a Comment