Search This Blog

Thursday 16 October 2014

Underglaze Test 1 - Result & Glazing 'Clouds and Rain Drops'



Overall, the outcome of this test is fine. I bought six different underglaze that five of them came out pretty good. Only middle pink was dark than my expectation, and it was glossy for unknown reason. 

I did pure colour test. In this part, I applied several layers of colour to see whether that made any difference. The result is not so obvious, which is good in a way. Because I can have a little control in terms of saturation of colour and I don't have to worry too much about if I only put a little underglaze, the colour won't come out. I also overlaid different colours and let one colour gradually change into another by using tinny brush strokes. Though most of the strokes didn't come out like I expected, I did find that when yellow was on top of any other colours, the results were quite good. And in the first picture, the second piece of the first role has pretty colour that the saturation of colour is neither too strong nor too pale. But since I only put a thin layer, the colour may get too messy in a big work because of too much overlapping. I will figure that out later.








'Clouds and Rain Drops'

The form of the work is inspired by Leon Bakst's costume design. Because I am working on creating fantastical landscape and express the positive nature of it, I specially choose a wide range of colour in slight high brightness and saturation for this work which can be associated with sweet dream, marshmallow. I think the beautiful and gorgeous costumes in the drama, film or stage are like a fascinating dream to many of us, particularly when we are young. For me, the costumes can recall the most sweet and pleasant memory in my childhood, yearning for the future. Maybe that's one of the reason that why I found inspiration in costumes.


Here are some photos of the work before glazing.






 













 During the glazing, I was worried that whether I used too many colours. The difference between draft and real work can be really huge and sometimes it is not wise to stick on the draft. However, I decided to give it a go and see how it comes. Then I can make further adjustment based on what I have got.






No comments:

Post a Comment