Search This Blog

Friday 18 April 2014

Martino Gamper: Design Is A State of Mind

This is a exhibition curated by London-based Italian designer Martino Gamper in Serpentine Sackler Gallery. The whole exhibition is composed of many shelves from designers with different items on them. Each shelf has its own style and theme, which provide audiences a individual way of collecting and gathering objects.

Some of these objects are really charming and unique, and some of them are just from our daily life. However, a shelf system like this gives us an opportunity to really observe and think about them. How their looking achieved the function we need and how they impact our life, for example.


When I first saw these empty shelves, I was thinking whether this exhibition is about furniture.




Rupert Blanchard & Osvaldo Borsani
L60 1946
 Then I realised all the descriptions from the paper I got were about the objects on the shelves or why the designers collected them. 
Left: Mats Theselius & Ignazio Gardella
Bookcase 1970
Right: Daniel Eatock & Andrea Branzi
Wall Bookshelf 2011
Maki Suzuki & Andrea Branzi
Gritti Bookcase 1981
 I really like this collection of bricks. To the collector, these bricks are more like books have not been read yet rather than just bricks. In my case, they are story books. It is easy to notice that they geographically different from each other from their colour and texture. And according to requirements, workers from different places formed them into different structures. 

And I think since people have their own interests and focus, some people may get more information from what they know more.  Vice versa.


This one looks more like a foam painted with red pigment than a brick. Since I could not feel the weight by holding it. 


I really like this warm yellow tone. It has a spontaneously aesthetic beauty. What if I get some of this, and build a empire for shrimps. It will look great with plants, at least in my mind.

Oiva Toikka & Franco Albini
838 Veliero 1940 / 2014
 This is one of my favourite shelf in the exhibition. The glasses themselves should be fragile, but the cube shape gave them a stout look. The shelf made of rope, slim sticks and glass, in the contrast, looks light and not strong enough, but actually is very stable. 


These cubes are produced in Finland by iittala.





The details in these cubes are amazing. They just float in the cube and those little bubbles are like rain drops which are really lovely. The technique of blowing is a magic for me. There are some ideas of mine actually are more suitable in glass. It's a shame that we don't have a glass studio in our Uni. I know it will take many years to learn it, but it fantastic if I can try it. 





Andreas Schmid and Andrew McDonagh & Andrea Branzi
Grandi Legni GL21 2009
In my opinion, this shelf is the the kind that people would normally get in their home. Normal sculptures in different kind with painting and box or something. It could not really get my interest. And as to me, the top left corner is too heavy, which makes the whole balance a little bit strange. I would move the wood box away.
Italian Travertine Sculptures, c.1970s
Fabien Cappello & Alvar Aalto
112B Wall Shelf 1936/ 1960s
I was wondering since some of the time of these collection can even be traced back to the middle of last century, did they brought both their collections and shelves here? Or the shelf was a work with objects that they stayed together all these years?

Bethan Wood & Campo Graffi
Bookcase 1950s
The theme of this collection is about Plastic Fantastic. The collector's love of plastic as a material was influenced by childhood.
 In many occasion, I don't really like the texture of plastic. Especially when they have crazy colour, looking cheap and bad-made. As to the objects from this collection, I won't give them one glance if I see them in the shop or market. But somehow when they came onto these shelves, they gave me a more meaningful feeling. How interesting it is.





Adam Hills & Martino Gamper
Book Show Case 2010/ 2014
 I like these three shelves, though some position of these objects should be considered more from my opinion. They remind me some kind of painting. I like the yellow, green, blue and red colours together. The structures that are used to hang them look like dashed line from here. 

It will be helpful if we can get one in our studio.

Richard Wentworth & IKEA
Ivar 1976/ 2014 
Sebastian Bergne & Bruno Mathsson
Bookcase 1943
Michael Anastassiades & Martino Gamper
Booksnake Shell 2002
Oh, this is stone collection is so so so adorable. Even I don't like the shelf goes with it, because of its colour and proportion. Personally I prefer a shelf in lower saturation.

Found on the sea bed of a small cave near Emblisi, Fiscardo, Kefalonia, Greece. Their egg shape is formed by the stones rubbing against each other as the waves hit the cave and make it act like a drum.

Stones from Kotronas, Lakoniki, Mani, Peloponnese, Greece.




Ernst Gamperl & Marino Gamper
Turnaround 2011






One of the attractive part of a work like this is the combination of man-made and nature. It can always bring surprise.











No comments:

Post a Comment