Search This Blog

Friday 14 March 2014

Glaze tests 1

For this glaze test, 1-4 are low temperature earthenware glazes that I got their recipes from a book. As to 5 and 6, I bought them from Scarva and they are high temperature stoneware glazes.

These glazes initially were for those pieces I have already made out but only biscuit fired. Later, I will temporarily turn back to body stain tests. Cause I want to get agate- like texture in my work. And perhaps at last, I will mix these two way of colouring together, which depends on my need.


Before glaze firing


Terracotta,  clay from Uni shop,  Royal Porcelain
1,   1+2.                      5.                         5,   1
2,   1+3.                      6.                         6,   2
3,   1+4.                      5+6.                 5+6,   3
4,   2+3.                      6+5.                 6+5,   4
                                                    2+4.    
                                                    3+4.                                 


 1) Terracotta


Left: 1, 2, 3, 4
Right:1+2, 1+3, 1+4, 2+3, 2+4, 3+4

1
I like the blue part of colour in this glaze that the green part feels dirty. Overall, it gives me a subtile feeling, not too bad but..
1
2
I quite like this glaze, the matt colour, smooth feeling of tactility as well as little dots in it. Its' name is Creamy Blue, but actually it's yellow. The colour has nice contrast with the clay itself.
2
3
I also like this one. This is a kind of natural, comfortable matt green. It's still smooth, but I can feel the little  uneven details on the surface. Also It goes well with the clay base.

3

4
I accidentally over added water at the last second, so it turned out not so satisfying.  It feels pretty weird and mysterious on the red clay, but I may need it if that is what my design needs.
4
1+2
This one reminds me spring snow on green mountain. It's like Chinese or Japanese painting or  tie dye.  I may use this one to glaze one of my work first, cause it is the most harmonious one.
1+2
1+3
The blue went darker after mixing.
1+3
1+4
This one has some similarity to the previous one, but is has one more light blue layer.
1+4
2+3
It seemed I didn't apply enough 2 on the clay that the result was not so obvious. But from what I can see, they together are not so bad.
2+3
It is a good surprise that their boundary turned into brown, when 3 was not thick enough. 
2+4
4 melted in to a gloss form in this case. I'd like to do more test about this and see what's really going on.
2+4

3+4
iron, swamp, blue sky and lake, landscape.
Strange attraction to me.
3+4
2) Clay from Uni shop - left 1
Royal Porcelain - middle and right


Clay from Uni shop

5
This glaze should be matt, warm orange with yellow and white, but somehow it is completely white.  I am not sure whether it needs much higher temperature since the temperature I fired is in its required range.
6
No problem with this.
It needs 10s to be sank in the glaze.
5+6
I like the way that the purple melted even more and turned into various blue, which brought a more lush effect.
5+6
6+5
6+5
 Royal Porcelain 
5
When came to this clay, this glaze flowed down crazily. The pieces above and these were fired together in the same layer, same kiln, same time.
6
5+6
This one also melted further than the 5+6 above.  But I like this colour more because of the white base underneath.
5+6
6+5
6+5
1
Though the glazes from 1-4 are for lower temperature, but I still tried them on porcelain. Some of them turned out quite good, however this one is not what I prefer normally. 
1
2
The real colour of this one should be lighter than the picture and looks better. Compared to the one on terracotta,  this one is glossy and has multi details and colour changes on it.
2
3
This one also melted quite crazy.
green colour has algae texture. I don't like the way that white base showed up.
3
4
This one became much better than the first 4, I must say. I really like this pure, glossy blue.
4

No comments:

Post a Comment