Search This Blog

Sunday 16 March 2014

Artist Textiles: Picasso to Warhol

This exhibition showed many excellent artists' textile design in early to middle 20th century. 

It has several sections: 

Curtain up; Britain, The 1940s: 'Brave New World'; 
America, The 19040s: 'Surreal Things';
1940s- 1950s: Horrockses Fashions- 'Fit for a queen'; 
Britain, The 1950s: 'Palette and Loom'; 
The Designs of Hammer Prints: 'This is Tomorrow'; 
America, the 1950s: 'modern Masters';
America, the 1960s: 'Picasso Unseen' (Mezzanine)
The 1960s: 'Pioneers of Pop';
America, The 19502- 1960s: 'Illustration into Textiles';
Britain, the 1950s: 'Painting into Textiles';

Number, Please?- Salvador Dali 1947
This silk screen printing scarf was made by Dali, which has strong perspective, colour contrast. The fine and smooth quality of silk gives these patterns nice details that the whole piece has good tactility. 

Compared to his painting, I like this one more. His paintings always have kind of thick, heavy, earth colour, making me feel anxious, sad, lonely and desperate. I like imaginary world, but his has too much negative energy for me. I will prevent myself sink into those emotions as well as my work. So this clear and fresh colour really works on me.

This is how it looks in the animation.
Ballerina
It said that Salvador Dali's scarf designs for Wesley Simpson, 'Number, please?' And 'Ballerina' were inspired by his unfinished Disney 'surrealist animation' called Destino. This animation was finished by another artist at last.




Gerald Wilde
John Heathcoat & Co., London, 1944 
Picasso,  1950
Andy Warhol
Zandra Rhodes
All the works I selected above are because I love the freedom in their line and vivid colour. I would like to try similar effect in my work, since I unconsciously would make my work too harmony that I want to try some vivid and passionate style. And one of the reason that I decide to make aquascape in ceramics is because the colour of them normally are quite fixed. Green plants are nice, but I feel a little bit monotonous in that case.

Recently I had an idea about tube, fire circle, circus that works blow gave me more inspiration about it.







I really want to use the tubes in 3D workshop for sucking dust away, but they may want to recycle them. Those tubes are translucent with good quality and colourful lines around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment